Monday, February 24, 2014

Altered Book Swap 2014 - Green

This month i had Z's beautiful altered book to work in for our 2014 round robin swap. The title of the book is Nature and Other Green Things.  She cut a whole in the front of a 1920's era children's book with a Dremel tool, to insert a wood, clay and resin piece she made at a Create workshop last year.  She used a gold bracelet to create an arc around the sun, with rays of light and green beads, all encased in more resin.
 For my first spread i was inspired by the graphics at the Sochi winter olympics.  I kept seeing the diamond shaped patterns at the different events, that look very "scrapbooky", and decided to create my own quilt-like collage in Z's book.  I used greens and blues - a piece of just about every piece of paper i could find in my stash.
Aren't they pretty!
 
 For my next spread i chose a different shade of green - verdigris.  I found some images online - here an angel statue and a gate, and placed them on a background of a forest.  I added copper trim and the word verdigris with foam stick on letters. 
FYI - wide copper tape can be found in the garden section in a hardware store.  It is sold as "snail tape" used to deter snails from getting into your flower beds.  Those slimy things don't like the chemical reaction with the copper as they slither over it - so avoid it altogether.
 I cut an opening in the gate and trimmed it with narrow copper tape. 
The bird was just for the photograph.
 The gate actually peaks through to the Chateau Frontenac, a magnificent hotel with an oxidized copper roof in Quebec City, Canada.  My friend Z and I are planning a trip there this summer.
 Our sign in pages had some collage done by Z but we were encouraged to add our own touches.  The actual sign in tags are historical versions of colour wheels, slid into green vellum envelopes.
On the back of the tag i added a magazine gal, and my name, and scalloped the edges.
Next month - PURPLE!
See a sneak preview of all the books HERE.

No comments: